Even if I was on my own for my birthday I have not felt so celebrated ever. I got calls on the satelite phone, reports about all the facebook messages, some surprise presents in little envelopes and listened to recordings with the birthday song and I got a good playlist with music to keep me going.
“It means so much when you are out here. So I had a really good day and I think it made me filled with energy for today, when I skied 36 kilometers…”
Audio recording from Antarctica
And there actually are some other people near by, even if they didn´t come to my birthday party. Today I saw a group of skiers in the distance and there are a few others out here, doing our different things:
- The Brittish army guys in expedition Spear17.
- The solo expedition of Emma Kelty from England.
- The Finish solo skier Risto Hallikainen.
- The fellow Swede and adventurer Aron Andersson guided by Doug Stoup from USA.
- The Polish solo adventurer Malgorzata Wojtaczka.
- The Canadian solo adventurer Sebastien Lapierre.
- The Italian skier Michele Pontrandolfo.
- The three icetrekkers Keith Tuffley from Australia, Robert Smith from UK and polar guide Eric Philips from Australia.
- The Canadian polar cyclist Hank Van Weelden.
- The guided international group with Katrina Follows from UK, Scott Kress from Canada and Paul Adams from USA, led by Ryan Waters from USA.
- The New Zealand skier Bob Maxwell guided by Brittish Carl Alvey.